Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Easy Blueberry Muffins

I think I spoke too soon.

It is even hotter than it was before. 102°F. 102°F. Ahhhhhhhh!


And yet, I decided that today was the perfect day to whip up my second batch of blueberry muffins in the span of a week.


Still perfect. Still delicious.


Still dying in the heat.


But still worth it. Oh yes. These muffins are so good.


The recipe, which is almost identical to the one my mom and I used to use but couldn't find anymore, is from here. Yields 12 muffins.


And those 12 muffins go quickly.



INGREDIENTS
- 1 (large) egg
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ cup milk
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup blueberries



Preheat your oven to 400°F and either line 12 muffin-tin cups with paper liners or spray the bottom and sides with cooking spray. (I like how the ones without paper liners get nice golden sides, but the ones with paper liners are much easier to get out of the tins.)

In a small or medium mixing bowl, beat the egg until foamy. (I don't think it matters how foamy it is, but beating until foamy should make the cupcakes slightly lighter.)


Beat in the oil and milk.


In a separate, large mixing bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt).


Stir in the blueberries. I used slightly over 1 cup because I mean, come on- the more blueberries, the merrier!


(In the past, I have waited until after adding the wet ingredients to add the blueberries, but I'm guessing that putting them in before yields blueberries that burst open while baking, which is deliciously awesome.)


Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid ingredients.


Incorporate the wet into dry ingredients fully. (Original recipe suggests only mixing for 25 to 30 strokes, but I don't think this matters very much.)


Fill the cups in your muffin pan(s), filling each muffin cup slightly more than half-full. (I forgot to take a photo the first time, so these are from the second time I made them this week!)


Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until muffins are golden-brown and the centers test done with a toothpick.


Loosen the sides of each muffin with a spatula or toothpick and turn them out to cool.


These taste best when still warm, but the ones I didn't immediately devour were inhaled for breakfast the next day.


I'm going to say it: blueberry muffins are the best muffins.


Unf. So so good.

No comments: