Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Mini PB Banana & Chocolate Pancakes

So this is very exciting... I made my own recipe! My first recipe!


Mini PB banana & chocolate pancakes, for one.

YUM. (Can you even tell that this photo is of the failed ones?)

Of course, it being my first self-conceived recipe means that along the way, there were some fails. I first attempted these mini pancakes for breakfast, only to find that the batter was too liquid-y. It only follows that after the whole vegan recipe fiasco, there'd be more mistakes on the way.


(By the way, I've decided to self-impose a moratorium on vegan recipes, since I clearly don't know the first thing about veganism. You try to throw them a bone, and... they point out that animal bones are used in lots of products and shame on you. Eh. But on a more serious note, I just don't know enough about vegan diets to make food that caters to vegans, so I'm just going to leave that for the people who have actually done their research. Simple enough.)

These pancakes are not vegan, but they are fairly healthy! And because they're mini, you can eat a lot of them without any remorse whatsoever. Quite the opposite, in fact.


As I mentioned, the first batch (see above) wasn't exactly perfect. The first couple of pancakes turned out more like deformed crepes, and the rest of them tasted a bit doughy, because I tried to make up for putting in too much milk by dumpling in random amounts of flour. Yeah, this isn't exactly scientific method right here.

Still, top them with (local) pear butter and maple syrup, and they taste pretty good!


However, being the perfectionist that I am, by lunchtime I felt that I had to try again. This time, I eliminated the syrup from the batter, since I would already be using it as a topping, and added much less milk than before.


TADA! Perfect! (Or pretty damn close.)

Maybe I should subtitle this post "Lessons in Perseverance."

Anyway, here's the recipe!

INGREDIENTS
3 1/2 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp cocoa powder *
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 Tbsp peanut butter
1 Tbsp milk
1/2 banana **

*I used dark chocolate cocoa powder
**use rest for toppings

Combine all the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder) in a bowl.


In another bowl, mix together the egg and peanut butter. (TIP: If you want to minimize cleanup, you can use the same bowl you used for the dry ingredients: just transfer your dry ingredients into a cup or measuring cup.)

Add in your dry ingredients to the egg/peanut butter mixture, and mix well.

Add in the milk (I used fat-free milk), and mix.


Slice the banana, and then add half (or 1/4, if you'd like the peanut butter taste to predominate) of the banana slices into your batter, mashing the banana slices into the rest of the ingredients. You can mash however much you want depending on how chunky you'd like the bananas to be.


Heat up a nonstick pan. (If you don't have a nonstick pan, you can grease up a normal frying pan or use cooking spray. Griddles also should work just fine!) I heated up my pan on high for a couple of minutes and then switched it to medium heat. I don't know why really, but it works for me.

Once the pan is hot enough, spoon in a small amount of batter. I used about a tablespoon for each mini pancake.


Cook each side for about 1/2 a minute. (Use your judgement and a fork. You want the pancake to turn somewhat golden brown.)

Let cool, and serve with whatever toppings you'd like!


Enjoy!

No comments: